Saturday, July 10, 2010

I often use the phrase "there are a thousand reasons not to do the something, but only one reason to do it....because it's the right thing to do". In other words there is many ways to come up with reasons why something won't work because you can attack it from any angle. This way you can build a huge case against something with meaningless reasons. There are usually far fewer, but very good reasons, to undertake a huge task. I think that this is the underlying conundrum of change and what they are struggling with in this chapter.
I don't think any teacher would argue most of the points that are brought up about the need for diverse schools with diverse facilities that are capable of teaching students what they want, how they want, when they want, and where they want. It's kind of a no-brainer. But suggest the changes inherent in these ideas and you will get an avalanche of reasons why it won't work.
On the other hand if everyone views the objections as hurdles that can be climbed using real world strategies then it becomes easier to see the way ahead as an adventure instead of as an impossibility.
The big question that comes up for me, that often comes up for me, is " how do we get people to buy in?

3 comments:

  1. I think that change is the result of strong personalities taking action even if at first they are ignored or opposed. I honestly think that if a few brave teachers take the plunge and create what innovations they can within the existing system by employing progressive frameworks and having the stick-with-it-ness to continue even if they don't receive immediate endorsement, that as long as the practices are sound and the clients enjoy improved success, the power holders will eventually rally because they will want to seem progressive and what easier way to be progressive than when you are supporting something that is already succeeding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jeff. I think we just need to stay the course and let the results speak for themselves. I recently had a teacher come to me to ask me to remind her about a strategy I talked about at a staff meeting about four years ago on my return from an AVID conference. I was surprised she'd remembered but I guess it shows that we sometimes underestimate the power we have to pass on ideas through sharing and collaboration even if it's only a 10 minute slot at a staff meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you don't have to take on the whole school. Begin with yourself, invite a peer or two for the dialogue and let it grow from there. When it is positive, fun, pro-active and effective, it will win over the nay-sayers.

    ReplyDelete