Friday, July 9, 2010

Chapter 3 thoughts

Overall I think the authors are bang on. We need to change the direction of the school cultural wind before our sailors start jumping ship. I am completely sold on the need for significant change and find myself in the SPIDER position with an opportunity to begin seeing some of the transformation take place.

That said, I do appreciate a rigorous argument. I am not keen on the blanket statements provided in the first 2 chapters (referred to as straw houses in debating circles) as a way of building a case for the author’s position: “Many educators, parents, and politicians have a great deal of difficulty understanding that the world is that different than the world they experienced when they grew up” (p. 17). I would argue that this is not true. Perhaps some might have a little difficulty....

The evidence used to support claims is also a little weak. Surely there must be more current brain research than 1994 (p. 24). I would like to see Canadian statistics cited; especially by Canadian authors. The data on page 66 is American-based. The CMEC must have current stats as would the TIMMS or other similar assessment protocol.

The authors do a good job at summing up what we know to be true…”the process of transferring the new ideas for instruction and learning into actual practice with students is the critical and most difficult part of shifting schools to new approaches to education” (p. 67).

My big question is how can we establish a network to support us in efforts to begin making changes? Perhaps we could find funding through NPBS or the district source that Bev Craig helps administer?

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if much of the innovation in educational change through home schooling. It could mimimize the cost of building, open up lots of opportunities for customization, put kids more in the real world and practically force digital technology to the center stage. I'd like to know what your thoughts are, Dave.

    ReplyDelete